10 Years of History
Timor Telecom (TT), the Fixed and Mobile Telecommunications Network operator of Timor-Leste, was practically born from scratch after the telecommunications infrastructure of the country were destroyed in September 1999. In 2001, still under the auspices of UNTAET (UN administration), an international tender for construction of a Telecommunications system in Timor-Leste was launched under the BOT regime (Build, Operate, Transfer). In July 2002, the Timor Telecom consortium (promoted by Portugal Telecom) won the bid, and signed the respective Concession Agreement between the State of the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste and Timor Telecom. On the 17th of October the Timor Telecom consortium became official as Timor Telecom, SA – the first corporation formed in the country. On 1st of March 2003, Timor Telecom started its operations (Dili Los Palos, Baucau and Oecusse).
10 years later, Timor Telecom is a dynamic and a solid company that has surpassed various challenges and has always accompanied the Timorese people on their journey since the Restoration of Independence.
Many events have since marked the history of Timor Telecom, among which are:
- On 17th of October 2002, after signing the Concession Contract between the State of RDTL and Timor Telecom and concluded in July 2002, Timor Telecom was born as the first public limited company and Telecommunications operator in East Timor.
- On 1st of March 2003, TT started operating in Timor-Leste with its first own network and country code (+670).
- In 2004 the telecommunications network was inaugurated on the island of Atauro.
- 2005 - Opened stores in Maliana, Suai and Oecusse.
- In 2006 about 50 thousand customers already had access to mobile services. Also the first phonebook in the country was published.
- In 2007 it launched the voice mail service and publication of TL Yellow Pages.
- In 2008, TT reached 125 thousand clients in mobile network and by the end of the year the first 1USD recharge card.
- In 2009 TT launched the broadband internet Net Boot service and the new and intelligent network telecommunications service platform arrived in Timor-Leste.
- 2010 was marked by the launching of the new logo (Toke) and also by the implementation of the fibre-optic network in Dili.
- In 2011 enters service hundredth the BTS or site service from the mobile network.
- 2012 signed the agreement between the State of Timor-Leste and Timor Telecom for the early end of the concession contract signed in 2002.
The investment in the information society in East-Timor
Since its birth, the TT has invested about USD 103 million in the development of telecommunication infrastructures, having demonstrated over these 10 years that it is at the forefront of technologies, adapting them to the needs of its customers. All this effort is reflected quantitatively by the following numbers:
- Number of customers - 632,500 mobile network and internet
- Population coverage - about 92% are covered with mobile network and internet
- Number of sites operating in 2G and 3G - 139 (2G) and 64 (3G)
- JRC's (Internet Community Center) - 40 already installed in partnership with religious institutions, national entrepreneurs, the National Youth Council of Timor-Leste.
- In addition to the CCIs, Timor Telecom, as part of its social responsibility policy, has sponsored free internet in various organizations such as the presidency, the UNTL, UNPAZ, IOB, Department of Youth Catholic Diocese of Dili and Baucau , STAE, CNE, Vocational Training Centre St. Peter Comoro, the Vision Youth Foundation of East Timor and the Foundation Ahisaun and maintains a Cooperation Protocol with the Resistance Museum Archive.
The social commitment of Timor-Leste:
Timor Telecom is a company committed to society development in its various dimensions. As such, Timor Telecom has supported various initiatives such as the publication of books or Timorese authors or about Timor-Leste, artistic and cultural activities, sports activities, social and humanitarian activities, including the Tour de Timor, Festival Ramelau, International Fishing in Atauro and Com, Dili City of Peace Marathon, among others.